– Several thousands of miles across the sea is the beautiful island of Bohol, home to the famous Philippine Tarsier considered to be one among thousands of endangered species in the world today. What’s so interesting about this small animal is its unique ability to rotate its head 180 degrees. Add up the tarsier’s very large eyes, reputed to be the only animal to have such big eye to body ratio, and you have an animal that is able to see exceptionally well at night. And with those exceptional night vision eyes and movable ears that can almost hear any movement, the result is an animal that perfectly embodies the kind of security we must have today.
You have probably heard the news about the Philippine hostage situation wherein some Hong Kong Chinese nationals were carelessly held hostage on the bus for almost 12 hours. Ironically, with today’s CCTV technology, we find that there is still more to learn out there. Simply put, we need more security innovations and advancements for the merciless threats of today. This is why a new kind of closed circuit thermal imager or CCTI is being developed by Manifest Marketing Limited.
Inspired by the Tarsier’s astounding abilities, the promising Tarsier Closed Circuit Thermal Imager is definitely something to look out for. First things first; one of the best features of the Tarsier CCTI is its 24-hour 7 days a week functionality. This means that this great tool will immerse its extra-sensitive eyes for you every single minute, so you won’t have to worry about getting breached by those pesky thieves at night. The tarsier CCTI works at its best at night. Even the shadow is no excuse and the various light conditions brought about by fog and smoke will not affect the efficiency of the tarsier at all. Now that’s really something worthy of a second look.
If you are questioning the Tarsier’s durability and life expectancy, it helps to know that the International Electrotechnical Commission or IEC through the International Protection Rating Code has rated the Tarsier to be IP66 certified. This means that the Tarsier CCTI is highly effective against solid and liquid intrusion. Talk about maximum durability and resistance! Also built for the extremes, the Tarsier has a maximum temperature threshold of +80 degree Celsius and a minimum threshold of -40 degrees Celsius. The whole product is also metal-coated with aluminum for ensured life expectancy.
Another interesting factor to check out is the Tarsier’s lenses that are both adaptable and flexible to various ranges and distances. Equipped with features such as the zoom feature and control over brightness and contrast, you have the perfect surveillance and protection for your business and home. Use the Tarsier CCTI anywhere you want. With a very easy set-up and installation procedure, you will be on your way to finally getting the good night’s sleep you have been longing to have for many days now.
To start using the new Tarsier CCTI surveillance system, you can visit the Hong Kong based company Manifest Marketing Limited, the premier security solutions expert in Asia. You can visit their site at http://manifest-hk.com/.
# # #
– An evening of great wine, tantalizing food and stories of hope at the Taste to Liberate in support of Multiple Sclerosis and CCSVI research and treatment is scheduled to take place in Toronto next week.
The event, a five course meal with wine pairings, on Monday September 20th, at Tappo Wine Bar and Restaurant in Toronto’s historic distillery district is expected to raise funds and awareness for this so-called controversial treatment.
CCSVI, or Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency, is a condition characterized by the narrowing of the veins that drain the blood from the brain and chest and appears to have a strong correlation with Multiple Sclerosis.
“Although we recognize that the CCSVI Liberation Procedure is not a cure to MS, the anecdotal evidence is substantial and the preliminary research done internationally certainly warrants more investigation into the correlation between MS & CCSVI” reported Helen K. Cosburn, Event Chairman. “While the Canadian government may not be ready to offer CCSVI treatment to MS patients, there is certainly a need for further investigation. At The Brian K. McWilliams Foundation we hope that the funds we raise at our upcoming event can in some small way contribute to this research and help Canadians get the answers and treatment they need.”
Half of the funds raised from the evening will go to support much needed research at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton, a leader in CCSVI research in Canada.
“St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton believes in the value of continued research and investment to rigorously test Dr. Paolo Zamboni’s theory into CCSVI,” says Dr. Ian Rodger, VP of Research at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton, and Principal Investigator of the CCSVI study being conducted at St. Joseph’s Healthcare. “We have an obligation and responsibility to MS patients to complete expeditiously our critical examination of the CCSVI hypothesis. We are one of several important global research studies that have a remarkable opportunity to expand the focus of MS research and in doing so improve the quality of life for MS patients around the world.”
The Foundation recognizes that despite efforts to support research here in Canada, this will not help those MS patients who want access to this treatment now, and do not have time to wait. This inspired a split in the funding raised at the event. While, half of the money raised will go to support research, the other half has been allocated to support two patients in their journey towards liberation. “Together the two ways of giving allow us to make a big difference for individuals now, as well as making a small contribution towards big change in the future” reported founder Brian K. McWilliams.
For more details on the event as well as to purchase tickets, visit The Brian K. McWilliams Foundation online at www.briankmcwilliamsfoundation.com.
# # #
– A powwow is a Native American celebration that has evolved from a sacred ritual called a “Grass Dance,” part of a complex ceremony performed by warrior societies among various tribes of the Plains. Today, it is an event where all people can meet to honor American Indian culture and discover its rich legacies. The powwow event at MAM will help to introduce families to Native American traditions through engaging activities and events.
Families can experience a lively performance of singing and drumming by the Heyna Second Son Singers, and dancing by Louis Mofsie and the Thunderbird Dancers. They will perform traditional Iroquois dances and songs. Delicious Native American food will be served and unique crafts will be for sale. Children will have the chance to participate in hands-on art projects and craft demonstrations.
Louis Mofsie, also known as Green Rainbow, from the Hopi Tribe of Arizona and the Winnebago Tribe of Wisconsin, has many credits to his name. He is well known as the leader of the Heyna Second Son Singers and the Thunderbird Dancers. The Thunderbird Dancers have contributed enormously to preserving and perpetuating Native American culture through their performances, and have enchanted a vast array of audiences with songs and dances representing the varied traditions of the American Indian peoples.
The Powwow is made possible by a grant from Investors Savings Bank. Generous in-kind support provided by Arizona Iced Tea.
# # #
– MINNEAPOLIS, MN (September 20, 2010) With the recent release of new packages, BHI SecureConnect has introduced its Breach Protection Program, providing an additional layer of financial security for customers. Causing concern among merchants, the fines associated with a security breach are potentially devastating and have caused many to seek financial protection for their businesses. Unique to the industry, the SecureConnect Breach Protection Program covers up to $100,000 in merchant fines, assessments and related expenses attributed to a qualified PCI data breach. “We have seen an increasing trend of similar programs throughout the industry, however none provide the level of monetary coverage that SecureConnect does” said Blake Huebner, Director of Information Security at BHI SecureConnect.
Available as a standard feature in the Select, Premier and Elite packages, the Breach Protection Program is one of many new additions to help merchants address the PCI Data Security Standards and ensure a secure business environment. “We have really focused our offerings to best serve the needs of customers. The Breach Protection Program provides added peace-of-mind to merchants in the case of a data breach” said Kristyan Mjolsnes, Director of Marketing at BHI SecureConnect. In combination with the many enhanced services and features, this added protection helps create an end-to-end solution that benefits customers, acquiring bank partners and integration vendors. The addition of the Breach Protection Program among other new services has been very well received.
“Both existing and new customers are excited about everything we are offering” said Huebner. The new packages are flexible and scalable to meet the unique needs of a single store owner as well as national corporate brands, enabling businesses of any size to implement a comprehensive network security and PCI compliance initiative. With accountability growing amongst acquiring banks, vendors like SecureConnect allow merchants to deploy critical services to protect their cardholder data environment and validate compliance each year, In fact, through this approach, SecureConnect is able to not just deliver compliance, but true security beyond PCI.
About BHI Advanced Internet, Inc. provider of SecureConnect
– Arabic Studies International (ASI) was established to foster a greater understanding of the Arabic fields of study and to create collaboration among practitioners, translators, scholars, authors, teachers, and those interested in these fields.
As the organization grows to over 100 members, the organization plans on additional methods of increasing interaction and group learning. Plans currently include a blend of online and live sessions for discussion of current trends and topics. Members would be eligible for discounted registration at all organization events.
Visitors can join ASI for free, and search Arabic related jobs, network among their peers, add publications and photos, and help to promote the Arabic community.
Dina Elbahesh, ASI co-founder, announced “We are thrilled with the participation of so many professionals from around the world and are currently planning a special event. This will be announced as soon as details are finalized and will be the first of many events and conferences that we will host to promote the study of Arabic worldwide”.
ASI is a membership based/membership driven organization developed to promote collaboration, networking and communication across the varied fields of Arabic Studies. Based in the United States, the organization is open to members worldwide. Individual Membership benefits include networking among Arabic Studies professionals and students; access to various discussion forums including those focused on culture, linguistics, literature, research, and pedagogy; job postings, a customizable member profile, opportunities to post information about your publications, add blog articles, receive a monthly E-Newsletter, and reduced registration rates for future conferences. Plans are underway for Arabic-related workshops and speaker sessions in various locations around the United States. Additional details can be found at the ASI web site, http://www.arabicstudiesonline.org, designed and maintained by Vietaly Enterprises, Inc. http://www.vietaly.com.
# # #
– Whilst the Turkish Government determinedly continues in its quest for EU accession, the public are rapidly going off the idea. 73% fancied membership in 2004 but a September 2010 poll drops that figure to a meager 38%. It seems it was never about being European, it was about the economic benefits, and now Turkey has the world’s third fastest growing economy for Q2 2010 (10.3% – beaten only by Singapore and Taiwan) those benefits are shrinking.
Daniel Dias for developer Signature International building Horizon Sky close to Bodrum comments, “There are winners and losers in an economic crisis and Turkey’s emerged as a clear winner. Brits have turned their back on the Eurozone and are choosing value-for-money Turkey, which operates in Turkish lira, for their holidays and overseas property buying. The two industries, tourism and real estate, are close cousins and their fortunes interlink. As a developer we’re handling several clients who’ve holidayed here for the first time then fallen for Turkey’s charms and want to have a permanent base here. The result is increasing prosperity for the country and a flourishing development for us.”
Indeed Turkey is gobbling up all the plaudits in 2010. On the tourism side, Cond