The 2010 Photography Show is the first annual and replaces the Crawford County Arts/Lincoln Trail College Photography Show held for nearly 5 years at LTC. Photographers from as far south as Newburgh, Indiana, north as Dennison, west to Effingham and east to Indianapolis, Indiana, brought their work for the show.
The show, with more than 100 entries ranging from all over Illinois and Indiana, will be open to the public from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily through Friday and from 5 to 8 p.m. on Thursday. Voting for the People’s Choice Award honor and money is open to the general public through Friday. Hours and show schedules may be seen at http://www.palestineartcenter.com
Doug Lawhead, former Robinson Daily News photographer who is now a technology instructor at Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, judged the show. Lawhead brings 23 years as a professional photographer to the task along with being a photo instructor. He had an April show of his current work of manipulating digital photos by adding photographed textures into subject photographs with computer software.
Best of Show and two first place honors were earned by Mitch Erwin of Olney.
Local first place winners include Danelle Hevron, Flat Rock, and Dana Hargrave, Robinson.
Other first place winners were Jim McMullen, Terre Haute, Indiana, and Todd Stokes of Dennison both taking 2 firsts each.
Local photographer Beth Rynke, Robinson, garnered 2nd place honors along with Jeff Waggoner, Indianapolis, Indiana; Jim McMullen, Terre Haute; Brent Michael, Newburgh, Indiana; Bob Reisling, Effingham; Spencer Young, Clinton, Indiana; and Harry Orr of Salem.
Honorable mention winners locally include Megan Ellis, Palestine, and Joe Trimble, Robinson.
Indiana artists getting honorable mention awards were Spencer Young from Clinton; Jim McMullen, Terre Haute; Jeff Waggoner of Indianapolis; and Rita Kent, Newburgh . Mitch Erwin, Olney; and Debbie Arning of Walnut Hill were Illinoisians earning honorable mention.
Lawhead remarked at the recent opening of the show that the show is an “incredible collection of excellent photos.” He said he chose award winners based on the different way their photos show they have viewed their subject. “I’m looking for a different way of seeing what everyone sees and for the expression of that in their photos.”
Lawhead has been a professional photographer at several commercial news organizations and has been taking pictures for most of his life.
The show is the first annual sponsored by the Palestine Art Center and the Palestine Development Association. Palestine photographer and artist Jim Ellis chaired the show at the Art Center.
A People’s Choice award will also be given to one photo and is still being voted on by visitors to the free show.
Access to the Palestine Art Center Main Gallery, 112 S. Main St., is available through the Main Street Bistro.
Palestine, located in southeastern Illinois along the Indiana border about 1 hour south of Terre Haute, IN, is one of the oldest towns in the state. The community celebrates its Bicentennial in 2011. Visit http://www.palestinebicentennial.com for more details regarding Illinois’ 1st bicentennial celebration.
# # #
– Freiburg, 9/14/2010. iTernity Ltd, Freiburg, has allowed KPMG’s accountants to go over its storage and archiving solution iCAS with a fine-tooth comb. It is now being presented with the auditor’s certificate. This certifies that iCAS users can archive their electronically-stored business information in an audit-proof manner, in accordance with the applicable guidelines. When used properly, as per the certificate, the data can be archived in accordance with the German legal requirements and guidelines.
iCAS therefore fulfills the requirements of the Trade and Tax Law. This includes the Tax Code (AO), the Principles of Proper Accounting (GoB), the Principles of Proper Computer-Based Accounting Systems (GoBS) and the Principles of Data Access and Verifiability of Digital Documents (GDPdU). The solution also meets the requirements of the Swiss Code of Obligations and the Accounting Regulations for Archiving.
Security and flexibility are among the outstanding features of the hardware-independent archiving solution. iCAS is an intermediate layer that is inserted between a DMS, ECM or email archiving system and the storage systems used. The data can be encoded, compressed and placed on the storage medium in a secure manner. iCAS uses the patented Content Storage Container, contained in all documents and metadata. The archived documents are protected from any attempts at manipulation via 512-bit hash values. The ECM System can give iCAS the respective archiving period for the document and deletion of the data prior to the expiry date can thus be prohibited.
KPMG conducts its examination in compliance with the auditing standards recognised by the German Institute of Auditors e.V. and the Federal Ministry of Finance. KPMG International is an association of legally independent, national member firms that conduct their business in 146 countries. KPMG is a business leader in the field of auditing and consultancy in Germany as well. More than 8,500 staff are employed at over 20 different locations.
– Have you ever discovered that you had spent more time at the TSA check points and airport security lines than the time it took you to fly to your destination? Some people have to get screened more than others and at times some of us have been held up in checkpoints longer than it took fly in the air to achieve our travel destination. If this is the case and or you’re tired of wasting more time then needed in the airports, you might like these helpful hints and tricks we are bringing to your attention:
(Join us free today at http://oddpath.com [only email-password required] to get more articles & reviews as well as helping to benefit your Personal & Business life)
1. Avoid wearing metal or steel containing accessories, items, clothing, jewelry, money clips, belt buckles, keys, tin foil (gum wrappers), etc.. If you have keys, key chains, cell phones, etc that you have to take just make sure you have them all located in one area so you can take them out at once and place them in the container at the screening checkpoint.
2. Avoid footwear that has metal or thick soles. Also make sure you are not wearing footwear that is hard to put on and take off cause you will have to remove them at the security checkpoint. The reason we mention thick soles is because the TSA can screen your shoes for other purposes than just metal. This might be a precaution they take to make sure your not concealing anything in your shoes/boots.
3. If you plan to travel during the holidays make sure you do not pre-wrap any presents. In some cases it is much smarter to ship them rather than bringing them on the flight with you as well as through the checkpoints. This will help save you a lot of time.
4. You should usually try to arrive at least one to two hours prior to departure if you’re flying domestic and between two to three hours if you’re flying international. Remember the worst thing that can happen is that you miss your flight in which case this will cause you major headaches and stress. It’s always better to arrive at the airport to early and wait then to miss a flight and be stuck for hours or days.
5. Avoid bringing items that are prohibited at the airport screening checkpoints. Things like pocket knives, water, too much fluids, lighters, etc.
6. Make sure you use your carry on luggage for your valuable stuff such as CPU, laptops, itouch, ipad, iphone, walkman, cd player, mp3 player, jewelry, camera, video camera, etc. It is always smart to put your medication in your carry on as well in case your luggage gets lost.
7. Make sure to label your personal contact information and or a business card on your luggage, carry on luggage, laptop, and other valuable stuff in case it gets misplaced.
8. The best trick or hint to Save Time is do not bring any carry on items or carry on luggage. If you do not have anything on your or you are traveling light, chances are you will fly right through the security airport checkpoints because there will be nothing to search on you.
Over the recent years traveling has become a little more difficult do to certain events around the globe. Airports have increased security steps and procedures in order to take the necessary precautions for those that are traveling here and abroad. Chances are these security procedures will not be slowing down anytime soon and that’s why it is smart to educate yourself and others on how you can save time when flying.
5722 South Flamingo Rd 280
Cooper City, Florida, 33330
# # #
– Elizabeth Dunn London College of Fashion Cordwainers graduate, showcased six of her most creative shoe designs as part of a two day exhibition between the 1718 September at Fashion Mavericks official off schedule London Fashion Week event at The Strand Hotel.
This was the first time Elizabeth Dunn has showcased her collection since graduating and she was very excited to be involved with London Fashion Week activities. When asked about being approached by Fashion Mavericks she said: “I was flattered when they asked me to showcase! It is such a great opportunity to stand out and show off my creativity.”
Elizabeth Dunn’s shoe making encompasses traditional English shoemaking with her own contemporary twist. Her personally hand made shoes are inspired by elements associated with the earth, nature and flowers. The luxurious feminine footwear consists of deep, earthy tones and a mixture of raw, rough and glamorous textures to bring an exciting element to footwear.
The two days served as a great platform of exposure for Elizabeth Dunn and her graduate collection. Fashion Mavericks has been successful for showcasing talented designers and giving them the spotlight to expose their creativity to potential buyers and recognition in the fashion industry.
# # #
– Bernardo Carvalho from Bravo Media is organizing a meet up to celebrate, share, educate, and engage in a discussion on how technology and social networks can play a leading role to tackle some of the world’s social challenges and issues.
The more we become aware of what it really means to be socially conscious, the more likely we are to make tiny changes contributing for positive change in the future.
We invite you to join the “Social Media for #SocialGood” movement by taking part on 23rd September from 19:15 to 22:00 at the 5th VIEW, Piccadilly Circus.
We believe a great way to become more engaged in causes starts right in our own backyard.
Let’s get connected. What’s your solution?
More information about this event: http://www.meetup.com/Mashable/22821/
About Social Good Day
*Mashable and **(RED) invite us to join the social media for social good movement by taking part in Social Day on September 23. They want us to get involved. It starts with each community coming together and contributing with ideas and, more importantly, solutions about how social media can raise awareness for social issues around the world.
*Mashable is the top source for news in social and digital media, technology and web culture.
**(RED) works with the world’s most iconic brands to make unique (RED) products, giving up to 50 percent of their profits to the Global Fund to invest in HIV and AIDS programs in Africa.
Since its launch in 2006, (RED) has generated over $150 million for the Global Fund and over 5 million people have been impacted by HIV and AIDS programs supported by your (RED) purchases
# # #
Bravo Media is a production powerhouse for digital design based in London and Rio de Janeiro. The company has been successfully creating digital design for various high profile clients, including big West End musicals, Blue Chip brands, lawyers and government agencies since 2004.